Administrator

14/03/2024
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
hausenfefr wrote:
Please stop being an Asshat.

Dear hausenfefr,
You are free to think whatever you like but not to insult anyone.

My real attitude is the one you learnt to know in (almost) 20 years of SyMenu.
If you really think my attempt is an "extortion" my only other option is to abandon the project. Because no one can force me to continue, not you, not anyone.
But since I'm not a bad person, in this case I will probably do what @JackoBongo suggested, i.e. putting SyMenu on the magical GitHub. The army of sleeping devs will wake up and emerge to continue the SyMenu development, probably better than I did in this year, update the SPS twice a day, and you'll be all happier than before.

So these are my two options.

Your options instead are much more.
If you don't agree you can abandon the program. You haven't paid for this, don't have an obligation, you can delete it and move on.
You could have supported the project when I was in need with your time, with your help. Because dear hausenfefr you tell me you are supporting SyMenu but it's the first time I hear from you, so you are a taker and not a giver.You can stop suggesting SyMenu to your friends.

What you can't do is to insult me.
link
sl23
sl23

14/03/2024
sl23
sl23
Though I understand that kind of opinion, it is completely unfounded and unwarranted.

Take no notice. Someone you never heard of, who has paid no attention to the project suddenly comes out of the woodwork to abuse you without understanding the full story. Who's the ass hat?
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator

14/03/2024
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Thanks for your support sl23.
As I already said I'm used to dealing with a lot of strange humans. I'm not surprised to find the same kind here.
Anyway I would like to borrow his sentence "never meet your heroes" and change it to "never meet your users". But I love SyMenu users too much to say that smile smile
link
sl23
sl23

14/03/2024
sl23
sl23
Haha I like it! One thing I will say, you are a decent person for not rising to these morons! I couldn't do it, don't know how you do.
link
donutz
donutz

20/04/2024
donutz
donutz
Quick question - just to confirm, I'm using your latest version (8.01) on my Desktop PC. Can I also install it on my laptop with the same user name?
They are both are on the same network at home.

Thanks for the update to syMenu, the layout is much improved.
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator

22/04/2024
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
donutz wrote:
Can I also install it on my laptop with the same user name?

Sure you can. As long as you are using SyMenu personally.

Probably in the future I will limit the number of versions one single person (login) can use but I think I will place the limit in the field of the five to meet the requirements of all the users, even the hard core ones.
link
sl23
sl23

25/04/2024
sl23
sl23
Will that limit backups? eg. I have a main SyMenu on D:/ which is backed up on E:/
But then I have a second version on E:/ for apps not used much, like CCleaner, Minitool Partition Wizard, etc.Which is also backed up.

So I have one on D:/
Two on E:/
Those two are also backed up On F:/
And just to be sure, These are also backed up further onto a USB Stick.
Seven versions of SyMenu in all, although some are just copies of others as they are merely backups and not new instances.
But would that count as more than five?

Gets a bit complex looking at it that way. Hopefully the version on D:/ backed up onto E, F and G:/ counts as one installation as it is an exact copy? Same with the other version on E:/ backed up to F and G:/ meaning I actually only have two instances.

How would that work exactly?
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator

26/04/2024
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
sl23 wrote:
How would that work exactly?

I've not a clear idea about this. For sure the limit will be set to avoid abuses, not to upset the SyMenu use for users like you.
But even if the rules are too limiting for your operation, you can set more than one login and use as many versions as you want.
I don't want to limit the use but the abuse of those people that redistribute SyMenu not following the license conditions because it's not possible to count the same user hundreds of times worldwide.
link
sl23
sl23

30/04/2024
sl23
sl23
How about creating a branch or 2nd profile? Using one main version but having different profiles available?
For example, for the two versions on E:/ each would have their own profile. I could copy one to D:/ and have both backed up on F:/ allowing me to then also use a separate version on my laptop.
That then gives SyMenu more functionality whilst keeping it tied to a single account and allowing more versatility.

Over the years, I have tried several different configurations that suit me and this current setup is the best yet. I really do not want to have all my apps in one SyMenu as It becomes distracting. But, of course, many are very useful in certain circumstances.

Anyway, just an idea I thought may help smile
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator

02/05/2024
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
So if I understand your idea well, during startup SyMenu goes with the default profile and loads the items tied to that one leaving the user the chance to change its current profile with another consequently loading the items tied to that other one.

It's a good idea even if, depending on the way I decide to proceed, it could be easy to implement for me and easy to use for you or a suicide for me and a burden for you.

But before starting with the flow of ideas, let's speak about the reasons for your proposal.
What are the drawbacks of having more than one SyMenu?
I think all the power users, including me, have more than one version spreaded on a single PC or on multiple PCs. I personally find this management very easy to control because SyMenu takes care of all the update burdens (its own update and the programs update).
So what's the problem with this kind of "duplications"?
And please don't mention the future and only hypothetical limitation to the SyMenu installation number for every single user because, as I said, the limit will be very large and it'll be implemented only to prevent abuse not to create problems for the honest users.
link
sl23
sl23

11/05/2024
sl23
sl23
Well, if the number of duplications is high enough to allow for circumstances such as mine, then I'm happy for it to stay as is and forget the profile idea. It was just a suggestion to see if that suited your idea of dealing with this issue. wink
link

UGMFree © 2002-2024
PayPal BTC TON